ISSUE: October 2019
Save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
Our Bold Goal is to reduce the current number of breast cancer
deaths by 50% in the U.S. by 2026.
Our Mission Pillars at Work
Last year, with the support of our
generous donors, Komen LA County funded 9 Community Grantees to provide vital
breast cancer health services for women and men in Los Angeles County.
2018-2019 Komen LA County grant projects funded:
navigation services for individuals diagnosed with breast cancer
psychosocial support services for individuals with breast cancer and their
For more information about our
2019-2020 Komen LA County grant projects, please visit our website.
We thank our supporters for
investing in our mission – to help us do more for research, more for our communities, more for
caring for those living with breast cancer – including metastatic breast cancer
– and more action to get us to a cure.
Did You Know…
75% of our net income funds grants
to LA County hospitals and community organizations that provide social support
services and patient navigation services.
25% of our net income supports the
National Research Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, educational
and scientific programs around the world.
Consider making a tax-deductible
Events & Programs
Dine Out for the Cure
Show your support for Susan G.
Komen LA County’s “Dine Out for the Cure” on Thursday, October 17th
by dining out at a participating restaurant or food truck!
Free Mammogram Exams
Metastatic Breast Cancer is #Unacceptable
Roxana was 41
years old when she received her unacceptable breast cancer diagnosis. As a
single mother, she was worried about her 6-year-old son watching her go through
chemotherapy and radiation. After having her ovaries removed in 2016, Roxana's
breast cancer was re-staged as metastatic breast cancer.
Lymphedema Treatment Act - H.R.1948 & S.518
After receiving a breast cancer
diagnosis and going through treatment, some breast cancer survivors develop
lymphedema as a result of surgery or radiation to the lymph nodes in the
armpit. Any person who has breast cancer surgery and lymph nodes removed is at
risk for developing lymphedema and remains at risk for the rest of their life.
Medicare covers certain limited therapies and equipment related to lymphedema
treatment; however, inconsistent interpretations of federal statutes mean
incomplete coverage for compression bandages, garments, devices and specialized
supplies required for daily clinical and home treatment of lymphedema. The
Lymphedema Treatment Act will improve access to lymphedema coverage by enabling
Medicare coverage for compression supplies, including compression garments,
bandages, and devices, which are the cornerstone of lymphedema treatment. Take action today!
Komen Treatment Assistance Program
you know Susan G. Komen® has a National Treatment Assistance Program to help
those who are facing financial challenges during breast cancer treatment?
Limited financial assistance, education and psychosocial support services are
available to low-income, underinsured or uninsured women and men across the
country who meet pre-determined eligibility criteria.
To learn more about the
national program, visit komen.org.
October More Than Pink Project
National Breast Cancer Awareness
Month is here!
Breast Cancer Support
Need support during your breast
The Komen Breast Cancer Helpline is here to help! Call 1-877 GO
KOMEN (1-877-465-6636) Monday-Friday from 9 AM - 10 PM EST or email
We're here for you.
Susan G. Komen's Research Grants Investment
is #unacceptable and investing in breakthrough research is the only way we're
going to discover the cures.
That's why we're proud to announce 60 new research
grants, with a focus on aggressive and metastatic breast cancers.
information on our research portfolio, visit the Susan G. Komen website.
Shop, Support and Save
From Oct 1-31, Simon is offering
customers the opportunity to receive a discount pass valid at participating
stores by making a $10 donation to Susan G. Komen®.
Donate now to #ShopSupportSave at Del
Amo Fashion Center.
Fit for the Cure® Program
This year marks the 19th anniversary of Wacoal's Fit for the Cure® program benefiting Susan G. Komen®!
Wacoal's Fit for the Cure program benefits Komen in four ways:
- Jan 1 - Dec 31, 2019: For every woman professionally fitted at an event, Wacoal will donate $2 to Komen.
- Jan 1 - Dec 31, 2019: Wacoal will also donate $2 for every Wacoal bra, shapewear item or b.tempt'd bra purchased at an event.
- October promotion: $2 will be donated to Komen for each Awareness Bra sold in stores and online at Wacoal-America.com during October.
- Social Media Promotion: Jan 1 - Dec 31, 2019, Wacoal will donate $1 for every picture posted to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram that features an "I Got Fit" sign in the picture and is tagged with #IGotFit.
Fit for the Cure Upcoming Events:
- Wednesday, October 2nd - Macy's at Topanga Plaza
- Wednesday, October 2nd - Macy's at Los Cerritos Center
- Thursday, October 3rd - Macy's at Burbank
- Thursday, October 3rd - Macy's at Stonewood Center
- Friday, October 4th - Bloomingdales at Century City
- Tuesday, October 8th - Dillard's at Antelope Valley
- Thursday, October 10th - Macy's at Sherman Oaks
- Friday, October 11th - Macy's at Northridge
- Wednesday, October 16th - Macy's at Valencia Town Center
- Wednesday, October 16th - Macy's at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza
- Thursday, October 17th - Macy's at Montebello Town Center
- Friday, October 18th - Macy's at Pasadena Plaza
- Wednesday, October 23rd - Macy's at Fox Hills
- Thursday, October 24th - Bloomingdales at Sherman Oaks
- Thursday, October 24th - Macy's at Del Amo Fashion Square
- Friday, October 25th - Macy's at Century City
Ashley Stewart Breast Cancer Awareness Capsule Collection
SAVE LIVES WHEN YOU SHOP
In honor of National
Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October, Ashley Stewart is unveiling its
Breast Cancer Awareness Capsule Collection. Complete with specially-designed
jumpsuits, hoodies, tees, earrings and more. Starting September 10 and running
through October 31, Ashley Stewart will donate 25% of the Capsule Collection
sale proceeds to Susan G. Komen®.
When you shop Ashley
Stewart, you are taking an active role in helping Susan G. Komen educate women
and encourage them to take an active role in their breast health. Every dollar
makes a difference in our mission to end breast cancer forever. Join our fight
and save lives.
Stock up on Susan G. Komen gear today! 100% of ShopKomen
proceeds support our mission to create a world without breast cancer.
Head to ShopKomen
today and help us save lives.
Go to komenlacounty.org